- This event has passed.
9/11 Memorial Stair Climb Hosted by the Bishop Fire Department
September 11, 2022 @ 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm$30
Bishop Fire Department will host the 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb
Of the 2,977 people who died on Sept. 11, 2001, 343 were firefighters. This year marks the 21st anniversary of the terrorist attacks that forever changed the New York City skyline, and the Bishop Fire Department is inviting the community to join the volunteer firefighters in remembering the men and women who lost their lives that day.
“Each year we climb to remember and honor those lost that tragic day,” said Joe Dell, Bishop Fire Chief. “The stairs humble me, and I always ponder how far up I would have made it if I were in that position.”
Sunday, September 11
5-6 p.m. Registration on the bleachers and grandstands of the Mike Boothe Memorial Arena at the Tri-County Fairgrounds
6:00 p.m. Ceremony
6:30 p.m. Stair Climbing begins
The firefighters hope to have 343 people participate in the climb. Each participant will be given the name of a fallen FDNY firefighter to carry with them as they ascend and descend the equivalent of 110 flights of stairs, which is 52 rounds up and down the grandstands. Water will be provided. New this year, there will be prizes for the top fundraising team and the top fundraising individual. There also are prizes from the National Fallen Firefighter Foundation for individuals who reach various fundraising milestones.
All proceeds from the event go to the National Fallen Firefighter Foundation, which provides support and services to the families of fallen firefighters nationwide. Registration is $30 per person and includes a commemorative event T-shirt. Additional funds can be raised by both teams and individuals.
To learn more visit firehero.org. To register, visit the Bishop registration page.
You can also call the Bishop Fire Department at (760) 873-5485, or email .
Thank you to The Sierra Wave for gathering this information.
FREE INFORMATION GUIDE
Flip through the pages of the new Bishop Information Guide! Or Download a FREE Visitor Guide or request one sent to your home today.
- The Scoop On Fly Fishing The Owens River
- July 4th in the Eastern Sierra
- Flying for a Purpose: A Private Pilot’s Mission to Save Shelter Dogs
- Eastern Sierra Reading List
- A Gift For A Dad That Wants Nothing – Father’s Day Trip Ideas In Bishop
- Giddy Up To Adventure – Horseback Riding In The Sierra
- Adventure Love Birds – Make Your Wedding The Best And Have Your Wedding In Bishop
- Bishop Weekly Fly Fishing Report
- Be In The Know Before You Go – Stop By Bishop Chamber First
- Staying Safe during Runoff
- Wildflowers in the Eastern Sierra
- Eastern Sierra Roads, Access & Recreation Updates