- This event has passed.
C5 Art Opening
January 14 @ 5:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Exhibition dates: January 14 – February 28, 2022
Reception on Friday, January 14th 5pm – 7.30pm
C5 Studios Community Arts Center presents I Turn Myself Over To The Object, a new solo show by John Hallberg.
C5 Studios is proud to present a unique and diverse collection of Hallberg’s work including drawings, paintings, assemblage and sculpture. Driven by the desire to make art as a way to express himself in ways he couldn’t otherwise, Hallberg surrenders to the process and materials that guide him to create in any given moment; “I turn myself over to the object.”
Using an uninhibited and instinctive approach to materials, composition and ideas, Hallberg gathers and reuses materials that transform into finished pieces. Within each piece, we find materials that tell a story within a story. Sandpaper canvases, beautiful patina on metals, threadbare fabrics and vibrant paint colors come together to create captivating and curious narratives in each piece Hallberg creates. In his paintings and drawings, Hallberg shows an incredible capacity for abundant expression through his decisive, almost minimal mark-making and bold, saturated colors.
Hallberg grew up in California and his family have been visiting the Eastern Sierra for over 50 years. In 2014, he and his wife, Nancy moved to a ranch at Coso Junction and in 2018, to their charming home in Lone Pine where at 75 years young, Hallberg now works in a small outdoor art studio surrounded by a dynamic sculptural garden containing his own creations. In a style similar to Southern Folk Artists, Hallberg’s art reflects his connection to place, people, wildlife, landscapes and legends and shares a wealth of endearing stories from his memories, experiences and his unique sense of humor.
The show opens to the public on Friday, January 14, 2022 at C5 Studios Community Arts Center with a reception with the artist from 5pm – 7.30pm. All are welcome and masks will be required.
- Climbing Conditions Weekly Report
- Bishop Weekly Fly Fishing Report
- Bishop. The Warm Winter Wonderland.
- A Dozen or More Wonderful Winter Hikes in the Eastern Sierra
- 4 Wonderful Winter Road Bike Rides Around Bishop
- Ultimate Guide To Death Valley National Park
- The Road to Death Valley is OPEN
- From Stones That Roll Mysteriously To Scotty’s Castle – Death Valley Is A Must Visit
- Spread Cheer And See The Migration
- Restore That Christmas Cheer With A Break To Bishop
- Tungsten City Running Loop
- Shoot the Landing: War and Planes in Owens Valley