- This event has passed.
“The Great Race” Lunch Stop
June 23, 2019 @ 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Bishop, Calif., will host a lunch stop on the 2019 Hemmings Motor News Great Race presented by Hagerty on Sunday, June 23, 2019. This old car rally will bring 120 of the world’s finest antique automobiles to town. In all, the participants in the event will cover more than 2,300 miles in 9 days. The start will be at the Mission Inn in downtown Riverside, Calif., on June 22. The race will finish June 30 in Tacoma, Wash., at LeMay – America’s Car Museum overlooking the Puget Sound.
Teams and cars from Japan, England, Germany, Canada and every corner of the United States will be participating in their vintage automobiles dating back as far as 1916.
The Great Race, which began 36 years ago, is not a speed race, but a time/speed/distance rally. The vehicles, each with a driver and navigator, are given precise instructions each day that detail every move down to the second. They are scored at secret check points along the way and are penalized one second for each second either early or late. As in golf, the lowest score wins. Cars start – and hopefully finish – one minute apart if all goes according to plan. The biggest part of the challenge other than staying on time and following the instructions is getting an old car to the finish line each day, organizers say.
Come on down to City Park and see what all of the excitement is about!!
- Bring Back A Memory And Help The Community
- Be An Informed Traveler – Get An Eye On The Weather, Road Conditions, & More
- Mammoth Lakes Wins 2022 USA TODAY 10Best Readers’ Choice Travel Award for “Best Ski Town”
- Climbing Conditions Weekly Report
- Bishop Weekly Fly Fishing Report
- Bishop. The Warm Winter Wonderland.
- A Dozen or More Wonderful Winter Hikes in the Eastern Sierra
- 4 Wonderful Winter Road Bike Rides Around Bishop
- Ultimate Guide To Death Valley National Park
- The Road to Death Valley is OPEN
- From Stones That Roll Mysteriously To Scotty’s Castle – Death Valley Is A Must Visit
- Spread Cheer And See The Migration