Bishop Bakery 1922, mural
By Janet Essley, 1998.
Since the 1850s, Basque sheepherders have trailed their flocks in the area. The shepherds taught their time-honored recipe for a thick-crusted, tasty bread to Bob and Louisa Schoch, the owners of the Bishop Bakery. The original “Sheepherders’ Bread from the Pyrenees country was baked in brick ovens and lasted several weeks without spoiling.
125 North Main St., Bishop Art Supply.